Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Ancestors in a Box

Ancestors in a Box...

When I was young, a highlight of visiting my grandmother's home was having her retrieve the boxes of loose photos and allowing me to peruse the family legacy. 


Boxes...images casually tossed into a box, labeled on the white border in a perfectly scripted penmanship who the person was...

Posed pictures...
...from a professional photographer, with the studio name emblazoned on the bottom in a fancy cursive.
...labeled with all family members.
...dog eared from years of grandkid's handling

Random snapshots...
...in the wheelchair, her mother, who had polio.
...in front of a car, a proud brother, with his new car.
...in a yard, siblings, standing frozen for the camera.

And on the back, the date and often the location of where the image was taken.

Photographs are a family history passed down to a new generation. Photographs are shared family memories.  Photographs offer a better understanding of family - where they were from, the trials, birthdays, and celebrations that brought them together.

Ancestors in a box.

After awhile, the story wasn't told by my grandmother to me, but from me to a younger sibling.
...and this is Dominica, who had polio.
...and Joe was very proud of his first car.
...and this is Joe, Ida, and Rose when they were young.

When we print images, we are creating a history to be shared, a legacy of lives lived, a personal history lesson, of memories captured for time.

Why do I photograph?
Because I am a keeper of time.
Because memories need to be preserved.
Because it is a way of keeping time in a bottle...or in a box.

Let me create memories for your future generations.
Wall art, books, or even a box.

Contact me today...

Park City Photographers
www.parkcityphotographers.com
c: 435.513.3814






No comments: