Monday, November 18, 2013

The words a photographer loves to hear...

     "You deserve to be compensated fairly." 

     Wow.  Someone gets it.  You see, I've never walked into my dentist or doctor and asked for a break in rates.  I know that I'm paying a professional for professional services.  For years of education, continued education, for insurance, for upkeep of equipment, new equipment, for advertising, for websites,  for cell phone, for space, for...

     So, what is "fair" when "fair" has so many variables?

    But, I hear rate negotiation games often as a photographer, as do my fellow photogs.  
So, how do we set our rates?  There are many factors that play a part.  This, in no means, is a complete list.  But, I hope it gets you thinking...

Experience.  
Enough said.

Education.  
The more we have, the better we become. Doctors, attorneys, teachers - all have to further their education on an annual basis.  Your photographer should, too.  Education is not free.  I have traveled to WPPI and other seminars.  I attend "Live" classes on weekends and weeknights, from my computer. I read publications and websites. All to learn - for you.  And, I get out and practice what I've learned - so I get it right - for you - BEFORE you hire me.

Knowledge.
Know how. If you've got the equipment, you should know how to use it.  If you call on me for a paid shoot, you expect I can deliver.  However, I will tell you, as a pro, if your job is something I cannot do or will not do,  I will suggest someone who can.  (I will not do nude couple shoots.  Nope.)   And since I'm referring out, be assured I've scrutinized the work of photographers I'm suggesting you consider in lieu of me.

Camera Equipment.  
In order to do my job, I have to have awesome equipment.  I buy the BEST lenses Nikon makes.  I have not one full frame pro Nikon camera, but two.  I work on a BIG MAC - and have external drives.  Lots of them. 

Lighting equipment. 
Portable soft boxes, and batteries. Gary Fong. Portable strobes - SB800, SB900...
Not cheap.  But, that's one more reason why my photos stand out a bit more...I like to take my studio on location with me! 

Computer software. 
You know, that stuff we need to edit with.  Picasa won't do. I-Photo? Nope.  But, that company called Adobe?  I should have taken stock.

Other equipment. 
Tripods.  Memory cards. Extra batteries. A double camera vest.  A pelican case. Several Think Tank bags.  Lowe pro bags.  Photographer's gloves. (Hey, it gets cold in Utah!)

Time.  
Time is money.  Time is a valuable commodity.  Once it is gone, we cannot get it back.  Most people only see the time we spend taking the images of you. Let me break time down into the varied segments:

1.) Talking with you. Planning, discussing wants and needs, rates and packages, emails and phone calls.

2.) On the front end, I must spend at least thirty minutes organizing the shoot, packing for it, double checking my list before I head out the door.  Then, I have to drive there...

3.) Shoot time. You got this! 

4.) On the back end, I must upload, organize, tag, name, edit, enhance, crop, remove acne, color correct (darn, those lights!), send to gallery...Often, we take time away from our families to do work in post - often after hours.  Until midnight.  Or two in the morning.  Because YOU have a deadline.  For every hour in front of the camera, I calculate two in post. 

Marketing and websites and a blog site and cell phone.
You've got to find me! 

Insurance.
Just in case.

My eye.
Only I possess it. It is, after all,  what makes my work and  my style. My vision.  It is why several people can take the same "picture", but everyone "gets" something different.  My  "eye" is unique to me.  Always make sure you like your photographer's eye. If not, you'll not be satisfied. 

Pay thyself.
I almost forgot about this!  
I chuckle here, as I've heard, "I'll give you photo credit in our magazine."  Um, Utah Power won't take photo credit to keep my lights on and my Mac running. Or,  "I'll put a link on our (obscure) website."  And Questar Gas will keep my house warm with that?  


Bookkeeping and accountant.
Gotta pay them.

Uncle Sam.  
Yup, he takes a hunk.  I've got to plan for that as well.


Photography is a business like any other.  Those of us who are pros, deserve to be treated as such. 









No comments: