Sunday, November 17, 2013

Discussion with a future bride...

   An ecstatic bride-to-be called me earlier this week, excited, because not only did "he" propose, but, she had narrowed down "THE day".  Her first question to me, "How much do you charge for a wedding?".  Our conversation went something like this...

   She: So, I'm getting married, and I heard you shoot weddings.  How much do you charge?
   Me: Congrats!  It depends upon a lot of things...what are your wants, needs, and desires, photographically?
   She: Well, for someone to take pictures.
   Me: Let's talk about the images you may want: engagements, bridals, groomals, first look, ceremony, party afterwards...
  She: Wow. I didn't think of all of that!
  Me: What are you looking for end result wise:  A book?  Leather bound with your name engraved with copies for your parents?  Pocket sized to show off?  A print for your wall?  Hundreds of images printed and presented in a box? A video montage of the day?
  She: I didn't think of that, either.  But, I spoke to one guy, he said he'd shoot my wedding for $1000, and another guy said $2500.  Are these good prices?
  Me: What are you "getting" for those prices?  
  She: I don't know.
  Me: Before you hire any photographer, take a look at their work.  If you don't like their style, it won't matter what you've spent, you'll be unhappy in the end.  Think of it this way: The ONLY thing you'll have weeks, years, and decades later - will be your photographs of the day.  People will forget the amazingly gorgeous dress that you hunted every bridal shop from here to LA for (but, they'll remember it was amazingly gorgeous); they'll forget the food; they'll forget the band (but remember the genre). But, with the right photographer, all of that will be preserved perfectly in photos. 
  She:  Oh...
  Me: Create a spread sheet of photographers whose work you like.  Call them.  If you are shopping based upon a budgeted amount, let the photographer know.  Say, "I have a budget of $2500 for my wedding.  What can we do?"  You need to like the photographer first, then, discuss what you get for a price.  Will you have one photographer, or will there also be a second shooter?  Is the price for time only, or for prints or a book as well?  
  She: I don't know my budget yet.
  Me: Location matters, too.  For example, if you are getting married in another state, or a distance away, then that will add to the cost. 

  When I left the conversation with her - I asked that she think about the things she wants and desires photographically - after all, the wedding is ten months away.  And, I asked her to promise me that she first look at the photographer's work, because it is not good to hire your photographer based upon dollars alone.  That just doesn't make sense.

#parkcityphotographer #utah #wedding #engagements # bride # fineart #portraiture #dekoff #photographer

   

No comments: